A great career in the vibrant service industry starts at school
ServiceIQ’s annual schools’ compliance requirements are outlined below. To help you with your course planning please refer to the information in the tables for Tourism and Hospitality and other suggestions of where to find valuable information on our website.
Please note: For your convenience, this information includes both ServiceIQ and Ringa Hora – Services Workforce Development Council (WDC) requirements. WDC information should not be taken as up-to-date or accurate – please follow the links to the WDC website for their latest information.
Choose from paper based student learning material and assessments or blended online learning material with videos, quizzes, PDFs and paper assessments. Products come in Individual Training Packs (ITP) – resources for a single unit standard, or Multi Training Packs (MTP) – a collection of ServiceIQ resources for more than one unit standard.
Pre-moderation – This is undertaken by Ringa Hora – Services WDC. ServiceIQ assessments are provided to you pre-moderated by the WDC – there is nothing more that you need to do. Schools writing their own assessments are required by NZQA to have these assessments pre-moderated by Ringa Hora: this involves checking assessment material before use to ensure it meets the national standard, and is fair, valid, and consistent.
Post-moderation – This is undertaken by Ringa Hora – Services WDC. It involves checking the marking of the assessment after it has been completed, to ensure this meets the national standard; and is fair, valid, and consistent. Post-moderation will be requested by Ringa Hora – Services WDC through their Assessment Intention Plan (AIP) – the WDC will be in touch with you about post-moderation and the AIP.
Applying to extend scope
Consent to Assess is granted by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). Schools’ Consent to Assess Scope can be found on the NZQA website. Secondary schools are automatically granted a Base Scope of Consent to Assess against standards.
The Base Scope of assessment for Hospitality in Schools includes the Foundation Skills at Level 1 and 2 (Level 1: 15891, 15892, 15893, 15895, 15896, 15900, 15901, 15905, 15918, 15919, 15920, 15921, 19768, 19769, 19770, 21057, 21058, 21059, Level 2: 19771).Schools intending to assess against additional unit standards should contact Ringa Hora – Services WDC for information and assistance.
Assessment Intention Plan (AIP)
Get expert help
The Service Career Kick-Starter introduces young Kiwis to the many career opportunities in New Zealand’s service industry. The booklet offers a huge range of exciting possibilities, helpful information, incredible career stories, and answers to your big questions.
Hospitality course planning
- Start by reading about Hospitality careers in our Hospitality Schools Career brochure.
- Find the NZ Certificate in Hospitality L2 Programme of Study here.
- Careers: With the ServiceIQ Career and Qualification Pathways, your students will discover that a role in the Hospitality sector is much more than a job.
- Shop: Hospitality resources can be purchased from the ServiceIQ Shop.
For specific hospitality assistance, talk to your ServiceIQ Schools Advisor – Resources and Development:
- North Island schools: Diana.Davidson@ServiceIQ.org.nz, 027-465 6714
- South Island schools: Christopher.Will@ServiceIQ.org.nz, 027-262 0565
Hospitality teacher experience and skill requirementsHold recognised industry qualification at or above the level at which assessing, or can demonstrate equivalent knowledge and skills, and have sufficient industry experience:
- Level 2 – 1 year industry experience and a qualification or 2 years industry experience.
- Level 3 – 3 years of industry experience or demonstrate equivalent knowledge and skills.
Tourism and Tourism Māori course planning
- Start by reading about Tourism careers in our Tourism Schools Career brochure.
- Find the NZ Certificate in Tourism L2 Introductory Skills Programme of Study here. Note: L3 Māori Tourism units are on all schools’ base scope
- Careers: With the ServiceIQ Career and Qualification Pathways, your students will discover that a role in the Tourism sector is much more than a job.
- Shop: Tourism resources can be purchased from the ServiceIQ Shop.